San Jose Church - Famous Church

San Jose Church aisle
San Jose Church located in Old San Juan within the historic colonial part of the capital of Puerto Rico, is one of the first important works of architecture on the island. The church is one of the initial surviving examples of 16th century Spanish Gothic architecture in the Western hemisphere.
The church was constructing from 1532 to 1735 by the Dominican Order as branch of their Saint Aquinas monastery. San Jose Church was renamed by the Jesuits who took over the monastery in 1865. 

Juan Ponce de Leon, the primary governor of Puerto Rico, was buried in the crypt of the church from 1559 to 1836, when his remains were exhumed and later move to the Cathedral of San Juan Bautista. However, his coat of arms is still placed near the main altar. His grandson, Juan Ponce de Leon II is buried in the crypt beneath the Sanctuary's floor. Puerto Rican artist Jose Campeche is also buried in the church. 
San Jose Church
In 1972, the 15th-century painting Our Lady of Bethlehem left from the church. In 2002, a restoration plan on the structure began and some painted murals where discovered including a mid-19th century depiction of the Battle of Lepanto. In 2004, the church was scheduled on the 2004 World Monuments Watch by the World Monuments Fund, which helps the conservation attempt with support from American Express.

Also Visit : web design uae

No comments:

Post a Comment