Kayla Harrison Becomes USA’s 1st Back-To-Back Olympic Judo Gold Medalist

Kayla Harrison grinned as she endured at the top phase of the Olympic podium. She provided a thumbs-up. She blew a kiss into the crowd. She take a bow. She sang the country anthem. Very with excitement.

“I’m joyful,” she stated. “I’m retired – as two-time Olympic winner. That’s it.” Harrison surely understands how you can go out on a very high note.

Positioned No. 1 in the recent world rankings, Harrison beat No. 2 Audrey Tcheumeo of France by ippon Thursday in the women’s -78 kg. gold-medal battle at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
She after that jumped into the arms of her trainer, Jimmy Pedro. “He was simply screaming ‘Two-time Olympic champ!’” Harrison told, “and I was aiming, ‘Is this my life? is that this actual right now?' I simply looked at him. I can’t believe this instance has occurred. I’ve dreamt regarding it for an extended, long time.”

Harrison was the very first U.S. judoka to succeed back-to-back Olympic medals of any kind. 4 years ago in London, Harrison was the 1st Team USA sportsperson to win a gold medal in judo. The only other only U.S. athlete to gain two medals in the sport is Pedro, who won bronzes at the Atlanta 1996 Olympic Games and Athens 2004 Olympic Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment